Thursday, August 30, 2007

Standing Meditation

According to Buddhist scripture, meditation can be practiced in 4 postures: sitting, walking, standing and lying.

Sitting posture is most common. Traditionally yogis sat cross-legged. Today many sit on chairs. Walking meditation is popular among some traditions. Standing posture is less common because it is tough. Lying posture is also seldom used because one can fall asleep easily. The Japanese, of course, added the kneeling posture.

One year ago, I started to practice standing meditation regularly. I had not been very healthy. I hope that, by meditating in standing posture, I would be fitter.

Today, I don’t fall sick as often as I did a year ago. But I am still not sure if it is a result of standing meditation, or the healthy supplements I take.

Anyway, I will continue to do standing meditation.

2 comments:

kai said...

Maybe you would like to share how to do a standing meditation?

khengsiong said...

kai,
I stand with the feet about 20 cm apart, and hands on my lower back. I count my breath from 1 to 8, and repeat.

If I want to make it tougher, I would bend my knees...